Christchurch, the 'Garden City' is the largest city in New Zealand's South Island and serves as a gateway to many of the island's attractions including: the Southern Alps, Mount Cook, Queenstown, Dunedin, Stewart Island and Nelson. With so much to explore and enjoy on the South Island, it's almost possible to overlook the attractions of Christchurch itself, but this lively and vibrant city has a welcoming vibe and offers visitors lots to see and do during their stay.
To find out more about Christchurch, view our gallery and video.
We recommend to our guests that they try to make time to see and do some of the following while staying at our central Christchurch motel:
- Gardens - The Botanic Gardens and Hagley Park in the middle of the city are just a short walk away from City Centre Motel.
- Walks - Christchurch offers a great choice of walks within the inner city, suburbs and environs. Walking guides can be borrowed from reception.
- Half Day Trips - Explore the wineries, hills, harbours, coves and beaches surrounding the city at easily-reached destinations such as Rossendale Winery, Diamond Harbour and Lyttleton.
- Day Trips - Within easy reach of Christchurch are the popular destinations of Hanmer Springs (for hot pools, horse-riding, golf, quad-biking, etc), Akaroa (for swimming with the seals and dolphins, French-style dining), Kaikoura (whale-watching) and Arthur's Pass (hiking/tramping).
There are a host of other activities and sights to see in Christchurch (many of which are free) including: River Avon punting, Antarctic Centre, outdoor pools, Riccarton arts and crafts market, playgrounds and parks.
Find out more about:
- Antarctic Centre - An exciting interactive snow and ice experience, penguin encounter and Hagglund ride suitable for all the family.
- Botanic Gardens - Over 164 hectares of gardens, lawns, trees and flowerbeds to explore.
- Christchurch Casino - A popular 24-hour a day casino in the heart of the city open for dining, gaming, functions and events.
- International Antarctic Centre - New Zealand's largest purpose-built convention venue in the CBD hosting events, meetings and exhibitions.
- CBS Canterbury Arena - New Zealand's largest purpose-built indoor sports and entertainment venue, just 10 minutes from the city centre.
- Corporate Accommodation in Christchurch - Find out about City Centre Motel's corporate accommodation and business services.
- Cruises from Christchurch - Explore and discover the delights of Diamond Harbour, Quail Island and Akaroa. (Swim with dolphins cruises are available in Akaroa Harbour.)
- Ellerslie Flower Show - New Zealand's premier horticultural event and often regarded as the 'Chelsea Flower Show' of the southern hemisphere.
- Hiking and Walks - Found out more about day and overnight hikes near Christchurch.
- Markets in Christchurch - Join the locals at the weekend markets for stalls, art and crafts, live entertainment, food and drink.
- Rugby Accommodation - The top rugby-playing teams of the world come to play in Christchurch.
- Skiing and Snowboarding Season - Within an hour's drive of the City Centre Motel are some of Christchurch's most popular ski and snow areas.
- Wildlife Reserves - View endangered animal and bird species at either one of Christchurch's two wildlife reserves and parks.